The Kids Skate Free is a national program offered by the Roller Skating Association. Kids Skate Free and Firehouse Skate N Play encourages children to stay active and fit by offering them two opportunities every week to go Roller Skating. The Kids Skate Free Program has a total of over 950,000 children registered throughout the entire United States!
A few fun facts about roller skating:
- 30 minutes of roller skating produces a heart rate of at least 148 beats per minute.
- 2x safer than school playground equipment, 3x safer than football and baseball, 4x safer than basketball, 5x safer than riding a bike.
- There are 400% more injuries playing basketball versus roller skating.
- Roller skating works most muscle groups in the body, including quads, abs, calves, glutes and arms.
- Roller skating 1 hour per week can burn up to 600 calories.
- Roller skating causes less than 50% less stress to joints than running.
- According to the American Heart Association, roller skating is one of the top aerobic exercises.
Parents who wish to participate may register online by clicking here.